Today, I had the day off and took full advantage of it. I didn’t even get out of bed till 10am!! Yikes! Oh so lazy! It is very rare I get to sleep in so I didn’t feel that bad. I was in the mood for something really good to eat that I could sit down and enjoy. A Dutch Oven Pancake popped into my head. They are so quick and easy to make. Plus they are so cool to see bake. I still had cranberrys left, so I decided to use them as my topping. Add a little orange to it and your brunch becomes a party! Today’s party consisted of my daughter and I. Even though the recipe says serves 4, it really depends on how greedy the guest are. We were greedy and ate the whole thing. Just the two of us. It was so good though. I would keep that in mind when preparing this bit of brunch happiness.
Dutch Oven Pancake w/ Cranberry Orange Compote
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup whole milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of salt
Powdered sugar for dusting
Cranberry Orange Compote
1 bag of fresh cranberries
Juice of 1 orange
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp clove
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1. Place butter in a cast iron skillet and put in oven until melted.
2. Blend eggs in blender on high for 1 minute.
3. Add milk to eggs and blend for another 2 minutes.
4. Add sugar, flour, vanilla, and salt to blender and blend for a minute.
5. Remove skillet. Pour mixture into skillet over melted butter. Return skillet to oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. For Cranbery Orange Compote, combine all ingredients in a medium pan and cook on medium until cranberrys start to pop.
7. Remove pancake from oven. It will be beautiful and puffy. Put some of the cranberries in the middle and dust with powdered sugar.
8. Slice and dig in!!