It’s National Blueberry Pancake Day! Yay! I love pancakes and blueberries. Put them together and I’m one happy girl. Making a stack today was a must. Look how yummy they look! You want some don’t you?
Blueberries are not only the second most popular berry in the US, but they have one of the highest capacities of antioxidants amongst all fruits, vegetables, and spices. Antioxidants help combat the free radicals that can damage cellular structures such as DNA. So grab a handful! Your body will thank you for it!
I’ve added a few not so traditional ingredients to my pancakes today in an attempt to be fancy. Lol. Instead of sea salt I used lavender salt. It gave the pancakes a unique flavor. I’m a fan! I also used pumpkin spice rather than cinnamon. That gave it a little spice. Everything came together just wonderfully. Brunch was a delicious success!
Makes 12 pancakes
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp lavender salt (or sea salt, I was just being fancy )
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp coconut oil
Butter for skillet.
1. Swift all dry ingredients together.
2. In another bowl mix buttermilk, eggs, and coconut oil.
3. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Fold in blueberries. Let set for 7 minutes.
4. Heat skillet and grease with butter. When hot add pancake mix. I like to use a 1/4 cup as a measurement tool. Flip pancakes when bubbles form. Cook until golden.
5. Serve with warm maple syrup and MORE BLUEBERRIES!