Today is a most delicious day! A day loved by all. Well, at least by me! This day celebrates my most favorite food to eat. It’s National Pizza Day!! Yayyyy! I could eat pizza everyday. I’ve had some pretty amazing pizzas in my lifetime but I personally love making pizzas myself. It’s fairly easy to prepare and you’ll definitely pat yourself on the back when it’s all done.
ALLORA’s Executive Chef Chris Maher, was kind enough to share the recipe to one of ALLORA’s signature pizzas, the Carbonara. This mouthwatering pizza is made with pancetta, cracked pepper, mozzarella, Percorino Romano and farm eggs. Sounds amazing right?!? Well make you grocery list and head to the store. Tonight is pizza night!
“I’ve been making pizza, in one form or another, for more than half my life. I’m fascinated by the seemingly endless possibilities. The pizza itself, acts as a vehicle for us to really create something special.” – Executive Chef Chris Maher
CARBONARA PIZZA RECIPE:
(Yields 4 Pizzas)
For the dough
4 cups “00” flour (if unavailable, all-purpose flour will work)
2 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp instant dry yeast
1.5 cups water, room temperature
For the sauce
1 pint heavy cream
½ cup grated pecorino romano
1.5 Tbsp cracked black pepper
Kosher salt to taste
For the pizza
12oz fresh mozzarella
1/2lb pancetta, sliced thin
4 fresh farm eggs, room temperature
• Combine flour, salt, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Mix to combine.
• Add water and mix to combine. Then, knead dough on low speed for 10 minutes. The mixture should come together into a unified mass that barely sticks to the bottom of the bowl.
• Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. It can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
• When ready to make pizza, transfer dough to a floured work surface. Divide dough into four even sections.
• Coat four small containers or bowls with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil.
• With floured hands, form each section into a ball. Place one dough ball into each coated container or bowl. Lightly spray the top of each dough ball with nonstick cooking spray or coat with olive oil.
• Cover each container or bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature for 2 hours. Each dough ball should double in volume.
• To make the Sauce, simply mix all ingredients together.
• Heat a pizza stone in the oven at 450° F
Assemble the Pizzas:
• On a well-floured surface, stretch out each ball into a 10-inch circle. Use a floured rolling pin if you need it. Don’t worry about the dough being a perfect circle!
• Place one dough ball onto a lightly-floured pizza peel, shake gently to ensure that the dough is not sticking.
• Spread about 1/4 of the sauce over the dough, leaving about a 1/2-inch edge unsauced.
• Top the sauce with a quarter of the mozzarella slices, and prosciutto. Crack an egg right in the center of the pizza.
• Transfer pizza from peel to the hot stone and bake about 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is charred in places.
• Remove from the oven and top with fresh cracked pepper.
• Slice and enjoy!
ALLORA is located in the TWELVE Hotel Midtown at 361 17th Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia 30363. For more information call 404.961.7370 or visit www.alloraatl.com. Stay connected online via Twitter and Instagram @alloraatl and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/alloraatl.com