“Drinking tequila is more about the journey than the destination”. -Rainbow Rowell
Tequila originated in the city of Tequila in the 16th century. It is a regionally specific distilled beverage made from the blue agave plant. Since agave grows differently depending on the region, tequila typically varies in flavor. You’ll notice a sweeter aroma and taste from blue agave grown in the highlands Los Altos region. If you prefer a more herbaceous flavor profile, look for agaves harvested in the lowlands.
There are two main types of tequila, 100% Agave and Tequila Mixtos. Mixtos must contain no less than 51% agave with various sugars and additives making up the remaining 49%. From these two categories Tequila is typically bottled into one of five categories:
Silver – a white spirit, unaged and bottled or stored immediately after distillation.
Gold – an unaged silver Tequila that may be flavored with caramel coloring, oak extract, glycerin, or sugar based syrup.
Reposado – Tequila aged at least two months in oak barrels.
Añejo – Tequila aged for at least one year in small oak barrels.
Extra Añejo – Tequila aged at least three years in oak barrels.
Tequila is one of my favorite spirits to get creative with because of how versatile it is. I’ve asked a few food blogger friends to share their favorite tequila based cocktail recipes. I’m going to warn you, they are amazing! You should probably go get a bottle of Tequila right now!
Garlic & Zest
The Toasty Kitchen
I am a honey bee
Shana Was Here
Honey and Birch
Nourish and Fête
Little Sugar Snaps
Rosemary & Rye
The Flavor Bender
26. Tamarind Ginger Margarita
One Delightful Life
I’m Bored Let’s Go
Just a Little Bit of Bacon
Urban Bliss Life
Oh She Swooned
The Rising Spoon
Easy Cooking with Molly
A Gouda Life
Need more inspiration?? Here’s 15 MORE to check out!!
The Jagerita – Nomageddon
Fresh Strawberry Margarita – Taste and See
Coffee and Donut Patrón XO Café Drink – Hustle. Mom. Repeat
Grilled Pineapple and Peach Silver Tequila Cocktail – One Delightful Life
How to Make the Best Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – Daily Appetite
An Exotic Tropical Margarita – Beyond Mere Sustenance
Frozen Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita – Champane Taste
Strawberry Jam Margarita – Supergolden Bakes
Sugar Sunset Margarita – Buy This Cook That
Tropical Margarita – Simply Vegetarian 777
Easy Beergaritas – Hello Little Home
Jack’s Ultimate Frozen Margarita – Grits and Pinecones
Silver Cadillac Margarita – Vegan in the Freezer
Grilled Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita – Plating and Pairings
Skinny Coconut Margarita – What the Fork